Sorry for not posting this sooner, but mundane life has been distracting me from the pure research. So I thought to get everything rolling by posting the product of previous research. Having done research into Persian cloud collars in 2015 (the post can be read at “My own Persian cloud collar research”) and having commissioned two Persian Timurid coats through my friend at Mikhaila’s Unmentionables, I finally followed through with embroidery plans.
I decided to do a collar that sat proud of the coat, but was attached at the neck. First step is to create a template.
Having settled on the template, I used two layers of silk and linen which would eventually be lined with white linen.
The design itself is quite complex scrolling. The stitch I chose to work in Au ver a Soie indigo silk thread was stem stitch. I eventually regretted this choice, as it was painful on the hands.
The final result-
I entered it into the Lochac Arts & Sciences competition with the topic of “from the Middle East”. I won!